RPG/Java Software Developer Job at in Binghamton, NY
RPG/Java SOFTWARE DEVELOPER
Rock-solid company in the Southern Tier of New York State is seeking someone who:
- Is equally adept at taking direction and taking initiative to solve programming challenges.
- Finds that using online tools to research problems comes naturally.
- Excels at conveying complex information in simple, accessible ways.
- Is intrinsically motivated and focused on providing high quality deliverables.
- Finds that attitude is as important as technical skill.
- Loves it when an assignment goes right, but is resilient and stays upbeat when it doesn’t.
- Listens well, asks incisive questions, and digs into details while keeping the big picture in focus.
- Above all, thrives on collaboration and takes great satisfaction in helping others meet their goals.
The level of the position will be determined by relevant skills, experience and qualifications.
This is a Binghamton Home Office position. Reliable, high speed internet service is required due to impacts of the pandemic.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities of a Software Developer and Senior Software Developer:
You will work alongside other developers and management to develop, write, update, maintain and modify computer programs and software systems.
- Write, update and maintain computer programs and software packages to handle specific jobs such as insurance administration, data reporting, tracking inventory, storing and retrieving data, and controlling other equipment. Modify existing programs to increase operating efficiency and adapt to new requirements.
- Meet and interact with customers to define and refine requirements, clarify program intent, test modifications, identify problems, suggest changes and provide support post-deployment.
- Analyze and develop documentation detailing software components, functions, and/or describe the processes performed by the software.
- Run tests and collaborate with computer operators and systems analysts to define and resolve problems in operating computer programs.
- Provide on call support after hours on a rotational schedule for overnight batch cycles.
- Maintain and grow your knowledge and skills through on the job training, seminars, webinars, and self -study.
- Expand your understanding of back-end and front-end technologies as a full-stack developer.
As a Senior Software Developer, you will also be responsible for the following:
- Create and maintain security- and performance-minded databases and stored procedures.
- Create software builds and perform releases to development and production servers.
- Mentor and assist other developers and communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate pre-release software for reviews and provide post-deployment customer support.
- Handle more complex processing issues, provide processing support and assist with training.
This company has been in business over 130 years
There is very little turnover at this company – especially in the IT department
Position is on a tight-knit team of 3 RPG developers and reports into the VP of Software Engineering
Profit sharing bonus has been paid out over the past 7 years
Required skills and experience of a Software Developer or Senior Software Developer:
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Information Technology and Software Development programming required.
- Experience with RPGIV/RPG ILE, I Series and Java programming language required.
- Proficiency in Agile Software Development required.
- Fluency in modern web browsers on multiple devices and their respective limitations and strengths.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Windows and Office Suite required.
- Ability to work on a team and independently.
- Ability to work outside of normal business hours to meet project deadlines, release schedules and provide on call support as needed.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience with jQuery and Bootstrap preferred.
- Experience with web security protocols outlined by OWASP preferred.
- Life Insurance knowledge and experience preferred.
- Industry recognized certification preferred.
- Leadership experience is helpful at the Senior level.
- Artistic, creative thinking and open mindedness to new ideas and approaches is helpful.
Education Required: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology or closely related field required.
About the Company
Company Location: Binghamton, NY