Mobile Developer – iOS Job at General Motors in Detroit, MI
There’s never been a more exciting time to work for General Motors.
To achieve our vision of a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion, we need people to join us who are passionate about creating safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. This bold vision won’t happen overnight, but just as we transformed how the world moved in the last century, we are committed to transforming how we move today and in the future.
Why Work for Us
Our culture is focused on building inclusive teams, where differences and unique perspectives are embraced so you can contribute to your fullest potential as you pursue your career. Our locations feature a variety of work environments, including open work spaces and virtual connection platforms to inspire productivity and flexible collaboration. And we are proud to support our employees volunteer interests, and make it a priority to join together in efforts that give back to our communities.
Who Are We?
Do you have a passion to see your work used by millions of customers around the world?
Do you believe in building not only working software, but well-crafted software working with a community of professionals?
Do you believe in steadily adding value by releasing frequently the features you built in productive partnerships with customers, product management and user experience teams?
We are looking for ambitious and creative professional React Native, Android Native, and iOS Native application developers who are passionate about mobile apps, the connected car, and want to be part of a fast growing technology hub in Detroit to develop ground breaking features in GM’s flagship mobile apps.
Learn more about our apps by looking at myBuick, myCadillac, myGMC, myChevrolet, myOpel, myVauxhall or OnStar RemoteLink in the app store. Below are links to myChevrolet:
At GM, we are finding ways to bring your digital life into your car and your car into your digital life. One way is with your phone. GM vehicle apps provide new ways to connect with your vehicle. Among other things, you are able to see diagnostic information and start your car from your phone, watch, and interact with services in your vehicle using CarPlay and Android Auto. You can help determine what it will do next! With 4G LTE connected cars becoming available in Europe as well as North America.
Who You Are
As a team member, you will be involved in all aspects of developing new features including user story elaboration, estimation, analysis, design, programming, unit/integration testing and debugging following Agile development practices such as Scrum and Extreme Programming (XP). In this highly collaborative, multi-functional, and Agile environment, you will…
- Build industry leading mobile apps for connected vehicles on a global scale
- Elaborate, estimate, and design for small increments of work…just-in-time
- Commit to completing well-defined work and deliver on those commitments
- Swarm around tasks along with other Scrum team members
- Perform technology evaluation and design spikes
- Test-drive code (Test Driven Development)
- Pair program with different people in many situations
- Report status of assigned software development tasks
- Consistently follow the specified software development methodology
- Model courageous and continuous learning to the team. Actively help team members continuously learn
- Promote improvements in programming practices such as functional/acceptance test driven development, continuous integration, and test automation
- Continuously learn and challenge the organization concerning new practices, processes, technologies, and languages
- Build a strong team using their collaboration skills. Interview and mentor team members.
- Provide leadership and assistance among and across teams/organizations
Additional Job Description
- BS in Computer Science or other related field of study or applicable work experience
- 1+ years on a team developing iOS apps.
- 1+ years as a software developer on production project
- Designing and writing software technical specifications, writing software code and performing unit testing
- Applying current technology to solve technical problems and ensuring system and application performance is optimized
- Working with business units to improve efficiency and remove barriers in applications
- Working with product teams on new product ideas, designs, prototypes and estimates
- Maintaining coding standards to facilitate code maintenance and enhancement
- Providing deep systems support (programming, architecture, system analysis) for the Applications team
- Documenting processes and development projects
- 1+ years developing native iOS app(s) available in the App Store
- Experience with Swift and Objective-C in a production application
- Experience developing apps that get along with web services (REST, JSON) – AF Networking and Mantle are a plus
- Experience with native iOS HIG and UI development standard methodologies including a deep knowledge of UIKit and AutoLayout
- Experience developing for Apple Watch or CarPlay
- Experience with the publishing process for the iOS app store
Preferred experience and skills
- Experience crafting and developing mobile applications in a sophisticated operating environment
- Proven experience/responsibility for design and architectural decisions of app
- Confirmed knowledge and practical application of design patterns
- The ability to identify and write appropriate tests leveraging mocking/spying frameworks for isolation of the subject component
- Knowledge of and desire to work in an Agile development environment
- Willing to collaborate and cultivate partnerships within and across teams
- Understanding of object-oriented design, client-server architecture, and relational database design
- Experience with notification platforms such as FCM, APNS
- Experience developing location-based services with MapKit, Google Maps or similar framework
- Experience in Jenkins, Fastlane, and Fabric for continuous integration and deployment
- Experience with multithreading, memory management, and caching mechanisms specific to mobile devices
- Familiarity with SCRUM as a development method for Agile Development
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new technologies
- A high degree of business insight, creativity, decision making skills, a drive for results, and a strong technical learning capability.
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
- Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
- Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
- Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
- Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
- Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
- Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities. GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual’s age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us at . In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
About the Company
Company: General Motors
Company Location: Detroit, MI